CART MARKING CEREMONY

City of London event

london-footprints.co.uk

The Worshipful Company of Carmen gained their livery in the reign of Queen Victoria, the only company to do so. It was granted arms in 1929 and received its second royal charter in 1946. There are some 460 liveried carmen, 160 freemen and 30 apprentices. They support the City, their trade and individual members.

The Corporation of the City of London has always exercised rights over carts and carriers. In 1681 the number plying for hire was limited to 420, rising to 600 in 1835 but dropping to 111 in 1899. Licensed vehicles were marked with the City Arms on the shafts and numbered on a brass plate. An Act of 1838 vested the licensing in the Keeper of the Guildhall. Owners have to be Freemen of the City and members of the Fellowship of Carmen. Each vehicle is marked annually with a letter reference (W in 2014).
The ceremony is held in Guildhall Yard on a July weekday and is undertaken by the Keeper assisted by the Master, Lord Mayor and Master of the Glover's Company, which makes a gift of the gloves worn for the task. A parade past the Lord Mayor, Master & Wardens is followed by a lunch for the carmen and their guests.

The event begins at 11am with the Lord Mayor arriving at approx 11:30.
The marking finishes with a drive past around noon and guests leave for lunch around 12:30. The public are welcome to attend the ceremony and illustrated programmes are on sale. Details of the event (on Wednesday 15 July in 2015) will be published on my
Newsletter page nearer the time or you can make contact with the Carmen's Company.
The Learned Clerk
8 Little Trinity Lane
EC4V 2AA
Tel: 020 7489 8287 or 8289
[
Website]

Pictures are as follows:
A 1902 Purdey's Tunnel Removal Van of Michael Gerson (two horses)
A 1938 Austin 12/4 Taxi Cab
A 1934 Sentinel Platform Steam Waggon of Michael Gerson & a 1920s Steam Waggon of Fullers Brewers
An 1887 Marston's Mourner's Coach & a 1935 Brewery Bottle Dray

In 2002 a wide range of 43 private, service and commercial vehicles were marked from an 1892 handcart to a present-day tractor unit and including horse-drawn and steam carrs.

[articles list]