Blackheath is a comparatively
new village which grew up in the 1820's to cater for the middle
classes moving into the area prior to which there had only been a
few cottages and two pubs. Development increased with the coming
of the railway in 1849.
This circular walk includes 5 pubs, two of which overlook ponds and the heath.
From Blackheath Station go
right along Blackheath Village
The station was built on the site of Hally's Nursery. Age Exchange occupies a former photographer's shop. It has displays, community library and a shop. Just past the butchers, and formerly graziers, is the RAILWAY TAVERN. The former School for the Sons & Orphans of Missionaries (built 1857) has been taken over by the Blackheath Hospital. Selwyn Court was built in 1936 on a site previously occupied by the Proprietary School.
Cross over to the
Conservatoire and Concert Hall (1895). Just past this go left
through the gates along Blackheath Park
This is part of the Cator Estate, developed in the 1820s by John Barwell Cator which has a number of attractive houses in a variety of styles. The Gables are by Philip Aston Webb and number 8 by Patrick Gwynne. St Michael & All Angels Church was designed by George Smith and built in 1828-30 as a proprietary chapel. The junction here marks the site of Gregory Page's Wricklemarsh House of 1723.
Continue along Blackheath
There are a number of Span houses of 1958-63.
Go left into Morden Road
This continues through the Cator Estate. Just beyond the gates to the right is Morden College, almhouses built in 1695. To the left the road passes the Grade I listed Paragon of 1794-1805 designed by Michael Searles. The original 14 houses were re-developed as 100 flats after WWII bomb damage.
Continue into South Row
Pond Row is the former drive to Wricklemarsh House. Colonnade House was built in 1804. At the end of the road is the Prince of Wales Pond and the PRINCESS OF WALES pub named after Caroline of Brunswick, wife of George IV. A plaque records that the English team for the first rugby international was selected here in 1871.
Continue along Montpelier
On the right is All Saints Church built in 1857 as the parish church
Go through Tranquil Passage
to the right
Here Queen Elizabeth's Well was sited and there is a building which served as a village school and later a library.
Go right by this through
At the end is an old fire station building used until 1909
The street emerges into
The area of heath opposite was known as Washerwoman's Bottom as it was used to dry clothes.
Go left at Royal Parade then right along Tranquil Vale. Continue to the HARE & BILLET pub and pond
Return via Grotes Buildings,
Lloyds Place and Camden Row
This emerges by the Mary Evans Picture Library (housed in the former parish hall) and the CROWN pub. Adjacent was the old post office and a little further along are some attractive weather boarded cottages in Collins Square. Opposite is O'NEILLS, formerly the Three Tuns (still depicted)
Continue along Tranquil Vale back to the station.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2013