A circular walk from Church Street tramstop. This is served by routes 2, 3 and 1 (westwards). If using route from Wimbledon eastwards alight at Reeves Corner and join the walk from here. The town is busiest Saturdays and weekday lunchtimes.
Opposite the tramstop is THE GUN (1) pub.
Go right along Church Street
Across the junction is THE EAGLE (2) pub
Take Church Street to the
On the right is the Reeves Corner island. This is named after the furniture store (established in 1867) occuping several premises here. To the left in Church Road are the 'Gothic Cottages'. Further along Church Street are former almshouses at Ramsey Court. The buildings date from 1875 & 1887 but they were founded in 1447. The Grade II listed ROSE & CROWN (3) pub has been on the site since 1752.
Go across to the parish
church of St Johns.
The large medieval church was largely destroyed by fire and reconstructed by George Gilbert Scott in 1867.
Take the path between the
churchyard and the main road.
Notice the old style 'Bradshaw' lamps with town crest, granite cattle trough and drinking fountain.
Turn left into Howley Road.
The Tudor arch on the corner is of Reigate stone. This was the site of Palace fish ponds supplied by the River Wandle.
First left into Old Palace
Road which was the Palace driveway.
The Palace, now a school, served as the summer residence of the Archbishops of
Canterbury. In the 19thc it was a washing/ bleaching/ printing factory utilising the old fish ponds. Former premises of Pickfords Removals (notice dates) are now part of the school. 'Palace Cottages' were built in 1851. The site of the parish school, built on land once occupied by the Palace stables, is now a new school building.
Right into Church Road.
'Laud Cottages' were built in 1852. The former Mission Chapel is now a nursery school.
Left into Charles Street.
Ahead is the Surrey Street Waterworks building. The oldest part, dated 1851, utilised the Atmospheric Engine House moved from West Croydon. Extensions were added in 1866, 1872 & 1912.
At the end of Charles Street
turn left into Scarbrook Road.
This follows the line of Scarbrook Ponds. At the top of this road is a HOGSHEAD (4) pub on the right and a GOOSE (5) pub on the left.
Go left by the Goose along
This has been a market area since the 13th century, formerly noted for its meat trade. There are views of the pumping station at Matthews Yard on the left.
Go left into Overtons Yard
just beyond the overhead footbridge.
The car park occupies the site of Page & Overton's Brewery. Opposite its granaries have been converted to a nightclub.
Return to and continue along
The old established DOG & BULL (6) pub is on the left. Opposite are buildings supported on pillars, formerly butcher's premises, some with mathematical tiles (made to look like bricks).
Return along Surrey Street,
go up the steps alongside Holmes Place and through the arcade. Go
right along the High Street.
On the corner of Katherine Street the SPREAD EAGLE (7) pub is a converted Nat West Bank. Further along is THE SHIP (8) pub.
Left into Mint Walk.
From here you can see the new library building by Tibbalds Monro which is linked to the Katherine Street building by a full height glass atrium.
Stand at the top of Mint
The road continued ahead along the line of the park path and was formerly a ropewalk. The police station, demolished in 1980, was sited here with a subway link under the road to the court rooms (still existing). From here there is also a view of the Fairfield Halls.
Left along Fell Road and
left into Katherine Street.
This was once the yard of the Kings Arms Hotel. The elaborate Town Hall was designed by local architect Charles Henman and opened by the Prince of Wales in 1896. Set back is the Braithwaite Hall, now part of the Clocktower building - Croydon's cultural centre. The clock and bells were made by local firm, Gillett & Johnson. Adjoining is the former Corn Exchange with a statue of Croydon's benefactor Archbishop Whitgift on its stairs.
Go right along the High
A range of late 19th century buildings on the left includes the remaining façade of Grants Store which has been incorporated into a new development and the former Castle coffee house. YATES (9) is on the right. Ahead is pedestrianised North End, Croydon's main shopping street. On the corner are 16thc almshouses built by Archbishop Whitgift for retired servants of the Palace. Nat West Bank is on the
site of the George Inn and Barclays Bank on the site of the ancient Crown Inn, demolished in 1955.
Go left down Crown Hill and
left into Middle Street.
These are warehouse buildings with wall mounted hoist and former printing premises. Notice the shop topped with a Wyvern decoration.
From Middle Street go along
This cobbled street has timber framed houses of late 16th/early 17th century (more mathematical tiles)
At the end go right and then left down Church Street to the tramstop
© london-footprints.co.uk 2006