A circular walk from Eltham Station
From the station go right
along Well Hall Road and cross over to the park (Well Hall
There is a pub in the TUDOR BARN (1) which was part of the mansion of Well Hall. The site was acquired by Woolwich Council in the 1930s when the 18th century house, damaged by fire in 1926, was demolished. This had been the home of children's author Edith Nesbit 1899-1922. Following improvements this is now an attractive park.
From the Tudor Barn return
along Well Hall Road continuing to the church.
There has been a church on the site for 900 years and it has records dating back to 1554. The present church of St John the Baptist was rebuilt in 1875 by Sir Arthur Blomfield and has a replacement tower of 1880. New stained glass designed by Sir Ninian Comper and B E Barber was installed after war damage. The pews came from the church of St Mary's Lambeth. There is a commemoration to Thomas Doggett (Coat & Badge) and an aborigine tomb in the churchyard.
Go right along Eltham High
Street and cross to the WHITE HART (2)
The former Chequers pub (rebuilt 1904) is now a restaurant
Return along the High Street
and go right into Wythfield Road
The former parish hall of 1910 is now the Bob Hope Theatre
At the end go right along
Court Yard which leads to Eltham Palace.
Old walls and gateway remain on Tiltyard Approach to the left. The Gatehouse of 1914 alongside has rose & portcullis designs. On the right are the attractive Tudor Lord Chancellor's Lodgings comprising a parlour, hall and great chamber. The bridge and Great Hall of Eltham Palace date back to 1480. The Courtauld House in Art Deco Style was designed by Seely & Paget in 1936.
Return along Court Yard
On the right is the CROWN pub (3) rebuilt in 1930 and three shops dating to 1810. The BANKER'S DRAFT pub (4) was at one time Martins Bank.
At the High Street go to the
The Greyhound pub was rebuilt to its original c1720 appearance but is now a restaurant. Tillings Horse Bus was stabled at the rear of these premises at one time. The double fronted shop (c1720) next door was a pharmacy in the 1860s.
Just past WH Smith go right
along Elizabeth Terrace
These houses of c1840 are separated from their 'gardens' by the path.
At the end go left along
This comes out in Passey Place where the buildings on the corner were Eltham & Mottingham House, opened as a cottage hospital in 1898. Diagonally opposite is the PARK TAVERN (5)
Continue along the path
On the corner is the entrance to the current Philpot Almshouses (no public access). The original 6 houses built on the High Street in 1694 were demolished in 1929.
Follow the path to the left
and then right through to Elm Terrace (see note below)
Go right, then left at Messeter Place and left at Footscray Road to the High Street. The corner site was occupied by the police station 1865-1939. Opposite is Christ Church Presbytery and the 19th century Eagle House.
Cross the High Street and go
The Fire Station of 1904 opposite, which originally had horse drawn appliances, lost its frontage in 1933. The ornate corner building of 1888 was formerly the Man of Kent pub.
Go right into Blunts Road
Numbers 3-7 of 1872 were additional Philipot Almshouses. There are modern almshouses (Fifteenpenny Fields) on the right. The Fifteenpenny Land Charity is based on a bequest of land by Henry VII in 1492.
Return to and continue along
the High Street
On the right are the distinctive RISING SUN (6) pub rebuilt in 1904, the former Electricity Offices (now a restaurant) and the Carnegie Library of 1906. At the end of Roper Street on the right is the village school of 1868. The St Mary's Centre opposite was a former RC school. Iceland occupies the former premises of David Greig and on the corner of Passey Place was the Palace Cinema (1922-72).
Go along the passageway to
the right just before Clinton Cards
There is a view of the rear of the 18th century Cliefden House and also some remaining outbuildings.
Continue to the end of this
Opposite is the remaining Orangery (c1720) of Eltham House which was replaced by shops in 1937.
Return to the High Street
and cross to Passey Place
The paved area has a village sign depicting notable Eltham buildings and a view of the frontage of Cliefden House (partly occupied by Shoefayre) opposite. The post office was built in 1912 and enlarged in 1935. It was converted into the OLD POST OFFICE (7) pub in 1995.
Return to and continue
westwards along the High Street
McDonalds occupies a former Burtons shop of the 1930s which had a dance studio above it. This was built on the site of the Eltham Congregational Church.
Go right at Well Hall Road
back to the station
During WW II numbers 50-60 were taken over by Woolwich Borough Council for WVS, Air Raid Damage, Evacuation and Food Office use.
Note: I have only walked
along Philipot Path during the day when it is well used by
shoppers. If it is not very attractive after dark from the Park
Tavern go down Passey Place towards the High Street then continue
eastwards along the south side to just past the fire station.
Cross and return westwards along the north side. This would make
the order of pubs 1-2-3-4-5-7-6
© london-footprints.co.uk 2006