Route & what to see
Property in Kennington has belonged to the Duchy of Cornwall since the time of James I and earlier the Black Prince had a palace in the area. This walk takes in some attractive Duchy of Cornwall premises as well as the Prince Consort's Model Lodge.The Lambeth riverfront changed dramatically with the construction of the Albert Embankment. The Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens were a major attraction from 1661-1859 but especially in the mid 18th century. The site of the pleasure gardens is used by the Vauxhall City Farm situated opposite.
This is a linear walk of about 3¼ miles from Oval tube station (Northern line) to Lambeth
Exit Oval tube station into
This was the Roman road of Stane Street to Chichester, now the A3. St Mark's Church is one of the 'Waterloo' churches built in 1822. It stands on the site of gallows where Jacobite rebels were executed in 1745.
Cross to the triangular
From here you can view the Oval cricket ground, home to Surrey CC since 1845 and laid out on former market gardens. It is leased from the Duchy of Cornwall and Surrey has the Prince of Wales's feathers as its badge.
Cross into Kennington Park
This was opened in 1854 prior to which as common land it was a venue for meetings and demonstrations, including that of the Chartists in 1848.
Take the path to the left
running parallel with Kennington Park Road
On the left is the Tinworth Fountain and the Standing Stone air raid memorial. Further along is the Prince Consort's Model Lodge built for the Great Exhibition and transferred in 1852 to be used by park staff. Across Kennington Park Road was the Horns Tavern & Assembly Rooms. This was demolished following WW II bomb damage.
From the lodge go diagonally
across the park and exit into St Agnes Place
This takes you pass the site of a gymnasium which was provided in the park.
Go left along Kennington
The former Bishop's House of 1895 by R Norman Shaw is now a school. At the end on the corner with Kennington Park Road is the site of a theatre built in 1892. After some years as a cinema it closed in the late 1930s and was demolished to be replaced with flats in the 1950s.
Cross and go right along
Kennington Park Road
On the left is the White Bear pub with a fringe theatre.
Turn left into
Cleaver Square, walk through and exit by Cleaver Street
Attractive Georgian houses and pub, rebuilt in 1901.
Go right into Kennington
On the right are interesting works buildings with wall advertisements and the Durning Library building
First left into Denny Street and left into Chester Way (Duchy of Cornwall properties)
Left along Kennington Road
Number 287 has a plaque to Charlie Chaplin on one of his many early homes.
Cross to St Anselm's Church
The foundation stone was laid in 1914 although it wasn't completed until 1933. Along from this was the site of the Black Prince's Palace, marked by a plaque on Edinburgh House.
Go along Sandcroft Street,
left into Cardigan Street and right into Courtenay Square
(Duchy of Cornwall properties of 1912-9).
From the end you can view Imperial Court in Kennington Lane. This was built in 1836 as the Licensed Victualler's School and was the NAAFI HQ between 1921 and 1992. It is now flats and popular with MPs.
From Courtenay Square go
right along Courtenay Street. Cross Sancroft Street into Newburn
Street to the right
On the left is Woodstock Court formerly the Old Tenant's Hostel of 1914 for Duchy of Cornwall pensioners. It was opened by The Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) - see plaque. The corner buildings were shops. Opposite are Newquay House flats designed by Louis de Soissons in the 1930s.
Go left along Black Prince
On the left is the Lilian Baylis School annexe and Beaufoy Institute provided by a local vinegar manufacturer.
Left into Vauxhall Street
On the right fronting Black Prince Road was the site of a Workhouse. Further along is a view of the gasworks associated with the cricket ground.
From Vauxhall Street go
right into Tyers Terrace and left into St Oswald's Place
Buildings on the right were schools. On the corner of Kennington Lane (308) is the vicarage, reputed to be the home of the manager of the Pleasure Gardens at one time.
Go right into Tyer's Street
Spring Gardens on the left is on the site of the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens. From here you can view Terry Farrell's distinctive MI6 building located on the riverfront. St Peter's Church by J L Pearson was built in 1864 on the site of the Garden's Neptune Fountain. Just past the church is the Vauxhall City Farm.
From Tyers Street cross
Spring Gardens into Vauxhall Walk
A number of factories and works were sited along this road. Further along on the left is Pedlar's Park. This commemorates the Pedlar who was said to have bequeathed land to the church (known as Pedlar's Acre) which became the site of County Hall. He and his dog are depicted in a stained glass window at the Garden Museum (former St Mary's Church). At the end is the former ragged school of 1851 in Newport Street now the Beaconsfield gallery and performance art venue.
Go left along Black Prince
Under the railway are 6 mosaics and 6 ceramics, including the Black Prince by South Bank Mosaics [website]. On the right are the former premises of Doultons who worked on this site from 1815 to 1956. Raw materials would have been off-loaded at a dock on the riverfront. The decorated building of 1876 is now a business centre.
Go right along Lambeth High
On the left are the headquarters of the Fire Brigade and the site of former potteries. On the right a burial ground was made into a public open space in 1884. Amongst the gravestones is the stone lintel of the Watch House.
The roundabout ahead marks
the end of the walk.
Bus 507 goes to Victoria. Buses 507 & 77 go to Waterloo
Archbishop's Park can be accessed from Lambeth Road
There are a number of places to visit nearby [details]
© london-footprints.co.uk 2012
[additional information] [walks list] [visit farms]