|A Paddington Walk
Route & what to see
This 4¼ mile walk explores features of Paddington Station, the new developments of Paddington Waterside, Paddington Green, Little Venice and the canals. It is described as a circular route from Edgware Road tube station but you can begin from Warwick Avenue or Paddington itself.
Note that there are two
Edgware Road tube stations. The Bakerloo served station has
attractive Art Nouveau features in the booking hall. Out of the
station go left, cross the road and go under the Westway then
left into Chapel Street. The other Edgware Road (Circle, District
and Hammersmith & City) has its 'Metropolitan Railway'
exterior. Opposite this station go along Cabbell Street.
This street has large mansion blocks
At the end go right, cross
Edgware Road and go right
In the front window of Lloyds TSB on the corner of Star Street is the Tyburn Stone (see plaque).
Go down Star Street alongside
the bank. Go left at Southwick Street and right along Southwick
A number of premises are used as offices
At the end bear right then
left into Norfolk Square and go through the central garden.
The Wedgwood family had a town flat here.
At the end go right along
London Street then left at Praed Street.
Praed Street served as a mews for carriage traffic in the 1800s. Paddington (tube) Station was originally the western terminus of London's first underground line (Metropolitan 1862). The Great Western Royal Hotel was designed in 1856 by Philip Hardwick in the Louis XIV style but re-decorated in Art Deco style in 1931. It has undergone a major restoration for the Hilton group.
Cross at the lights and take
Eastbourne Terrace alongside the station.
This is known as Departures Road as it served the departure platforms. The railings are original. The entrance near Sainsburys Local dates from 1935 but is known as the Horse Arch as horse drawn traffic would load here.
Enter the station as
signposted 'Macmillan House''
There is a life size statue of IK Brunel by John Doubleday. Brunel designed the station (completed in 1854) in asssociation with Matthew Digby Wyatt for the Great Western Railway. This was the original main entrance and is known as Clock Arch after the clock made by Kays of Worcester in 1903.
Go left along the platform
Digby Wyatt's decorative elements are still evident along with the GWR Coat of Arms. The Royal Waiting Rooms were employed as such until 1939. After various other uses they were re-opened as a first class waiting area in 1995. This is also the location of the war memorial to GWR employees featuring a bronze statue by Charles Sargeant Jagger.
Return to the main concourse.
The area beyond the glazed screen (a former parcels handling area) known as The Lawn has been redeveloped by Nicholas Grimshaw & Partners with passenger amenities. There is a statue of Paddington Bear by the escalators (if you can't find him it's because his plinth is being used as a seat!). There are two Ransome & Napier hydraulic buffers of 1916 at the end of platforms 11/12.
Go along platforms 6/7 and up
the stairs or ramp
From here there is a view of the 500' long train shed roofs. The fourth span was added in 1916.
Follow signs to Sheldon Square
This area is being redeveloped for Crossrail and Bishops Bridge has been rebuilt to take heavier traffic. During construction an early Brunel iron bridge was found. It is hoped to restore this and return it to Paddington.
Go left to view Sheldon Square
This was the first stage of the Paddington Central development, on the site of the original 1838 station and former goods depot. The mixed used scheme includes terraces around a sunken lawn area.
Continue along the canalside
under the Westway
The Grade II* listed Battleship Building was refurbished by and for BDSP Partnership in 2011. This former Paddington Maintenance Depot was built in 1968-9 to the designs of Bicknell & Hamilton. The adjacent Rotunda is now occupied by Nissan Design HQ. The opposite side of the canal is Stone Wharf
Under the bridge continue
along the south side of Little Venice
The Grand Union (originally Grand Junction) Canal was opened in 1801. Little Venice took shape when the Regent's Canal joined at this point in 1820.
Cross Westbourne Terrace Road
and rejoin the towpath parallel with Delamere Terrace. Leave this
just before the footbridge.
The church of St Mary Magdelene (1867-78) on Westbourne Green is by GE Street
Use the footbridge to cross
the canal and continue along Formosa Street
The Prince Alfred pub was built in 1856 and refitted in 1898. It is Grade II listed as its retains its compartments, ornate ceiling and curved windows with etched glass.
Go right at Castellain Road
St Saviours Church is a distinctive building.
Go across to WARWICK AVENUE
There is a cabmen's shelter here.
Continue along Warwick Avenue,
crossing the Regent's Canal.
To the right are Rembrandt Gardens. They occupy the site of three large house, demolished in the 1950s and are named in honour of Westminster's links with Amsterdam.
Go left along Howley Place. At
the end go right along Park Place Villas then St Mary's Terrace.
There are a number of mansion blocks with impressive entrances (notice 'Tradesmen Entrance' on the gates).
Go through the arch to view St
David's Welsh Church
This replaced central London's last thatched house in 1889. The church itself is on the upper floor with a hall beneath. Tel 020 7723 3104.
Continue along St Mary's
A plaque on Fleming Court to the left records the opening in 1948 by Sir Alexander Fleming, who discovered penicillin at St Mary's Hospital in 1928. The park area beyond this to the left was an extension of the church burial ground.
Go across to St Mary Church
The church (generally open 9-12 weekdays) was built in 1788-91 by John Plaw on the site of earlier churches. The Hall built in the 1970s by Quinlan Terry features neo-classical trompe l'oeil panels.
Go across to the City of
This stunning new building was opened in January 2011. The foyer, which gives a view of the central atrium and the Garden Cafe are open to the public. The red brick building across from this was a children's hospital founded in 1883, rebuilt in 1938 and closed in 1987. Houses at numbers 17 & 18 are 18th century. There is a statue of the actress Sarah Siddons on the green. Shillibeer ran the first omnibus service from Paddington Green to Bank in 1829.
From Paddington Green go right
along Harrow Road alongside the Westway and go through the subway
at Porteus Road. Continue along Harrow Road past the premises of
Travis Perkins then go along North Wharf Road. Opposite Hermitage
Street go to the right (signposted St Marys Hospital)
The Point by Terry Farrell & Partners is on the right and Waterside (occupied by M&S) by the Richard Rogers Partnership on the left. The four acre Paddington Basin opened in 1805 is central to the new development with new towpaths, bridge crossings and visitor moorings.
Go left along the canalside.
An inlet is crossed by means of a Rolling Bridge designed by Thomas Heatherwick (operated at noon on Fridays). Further along the East Bridge designed by Marcus Taylor moves helically on a steel corkscrew. The Pad is the temporary marketing suite for apartments in the new development.
Continue around the end of the
There are views of the Hilton London Metropole. West End Quay is a residental development with artwork in the lobbies. The waterside piazza includes Lock Level Line, a sculpture group by Danny Lane.
Just past Tesco Metro go left
through to South Wharf Road
Paddington First (Recruitment Centre) occupies the former Grand Junction Arms pub
Go right along South Wharf
This passes buildings of St Marys Hospital (founded in 1845) including the QEQM building (1988) on the right and the private Lindo wing (1937) on the left. The Mint has occupied since 1969 former three storey stables built by GWR in the 1870s for its hundreds of working horses and used until the 1940s.
Go left into London Street
Tournament House on the right with its large GWR lettering was built in 1935 to the designs of PE Culverhouse and now serves as offices.
Go left around Winsland Street
The sorting office is due for redevelopment. The hospital's Mary Stanford building has stained glass windows.
At Praed Street go left
The Fleming Museum is marked on the left at Norfolk Place. The ward blocks here are the oldest part of the hospital. Further along the route passes Paddington First and West End Quay buildings again.
At Edgware Road go left for Bakerloo trains or straight across for other lines.
Find out more about Paddington Waterside on their website
© london-footprints.co.uk 2011
[places to visit] [gallery] [cab shelters] [walks list]